Admissions Q&A: Application Questions

Below is the transcript from yesterday’s Admissions chat. You can also view an archive of past chats here.

Question: I took my GMAT in December, and the official score should be in around 18 January, which is after the Round 2 application deadline.  I have my verbal and quantitative scores, but not my integrated reasoning or analytical writing scores.  Can I still submit my application for Round 2, and send my official scores to the school as soon as the official score report comes in?

Answer: All applicants can self-report and then if you are offered admission and choose to matriculate, then we will need the official scores. Please e-mail darden@virginia.edu once you do receive your AWA and IR scores.

Question: What do you consider to be a proper use of the Additional Information section? Is it just to explain potential red flags, or could it also be used to provide further details about qualifications and experience?

Answer: The Additional Comments section is intended for applicants to help explain aspects of their application. We do not intend for it to be an additional essay. If there is an aspect of your qualifications or experience they may need further explanation, then yes, but you do not need to go into further detail for the sake of doing so.

Question: On the GMAT, is the verbal score seen as important as the quantitative score?

Answer: We review all of the information in your application. The verbal part of the GMAT, as well as the AWA, does provide useful information for us.

Question: I know the application question only asks about my short-term goals, but would it be advisable if I show the connection between my short-term goals and long-term goals?

Answer: Yes, that would be fine to include your long-term goals as well as your short-term goals in that short answer question.

Question: Will taking the GMAT multiple times create a negative impression on me as an applicant?

Answer: Most of our applicants take the GMAT (or the GRE) more than once.  We will look to see what your highest score is but ask that you report all scores. Taking the test 2-4 times is the range we generally see. I think that after 4 times, most applicants do not see significant increases in their scores.

Question: My degree is in medicine and I worked for a year as medical resident/intern. Does this qualify as full-time experience?

Answer: Yes, we will consider your residency full-time experience.

Question: Can you please share with us what the interview process is like?  Will the interview be like a case study or more behavorial?

Answer: The interview is intended to be a conversation to learn more about you. For applicants living in the U.S., you will be required to interview here in Charlottesville, VA. If you live outside the U.S., then your interview may be conducted by one of our alumni in-person or with an Admissions committee member via Skype. We may ask some behavioral type questions but more than anything we are looking to learn what you have done and where you want to go.

Question: What does the Admissions committee look for in the application to determine if an applicant is a good fit?

Answer: You all share a lot about yourselves in the application — from your academic background to professional work, your essay and short answer questions, plus all you tell us in the community activities section, resume and recommendations.

By reading through all of this, we do begin to get a sense of who you are and what is important to you. If we would like to learn more, then we will invite to interview which is a great way to get to know you in person and bring your story to life.

About Darden Admissions

If you have any questions or feedback regarding our blogs, website, or other communication, we encourage you to reach out to us at darden@virginia.edu.
This entry was posted in Admissions, Weekly Chats and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.