Too Blessed To Be Stressed

Three years ago I started my January 2010 blog, “I’ve never been much of a fan of New Year’s Resolutions.”  Still not. But my holiday break and family vacation prompted this year’s resolution, “I’m too blessed to be stressed about the little things I can’t control, so I resolve not to be.”

I stole the phrase from our Tuff E Nuff tour guide on a trip to see Belizean Mayan ruins on the day after the end of the Mayan calendar (and a San Pedro, Belize all-night end of the world party).  Our guide, Andre, is Belizean and has great knowledge of Belize, its history, culture and politics.  He is passionate about his country and its future.  Yet, he is also quite easy going and a man of faith (he’s Rastafari), so one of his philosophies that he shared with us:  “too blessed to be stressed.” 

Stuck with me all week.

I’ve blogged in the past about the Corporate Athlete Course from the Human Performance Institute.  One of the exercises we ask people to do in the course is to take one minute everyday and write a list of what you are grateful for. I spent some quality 293978_10200355265183964_107998689_n[1]running and yoga time on vacation doing just that.  Conclusion:  I’m just too blessed to be stressed.  My wife, my family, my faith, my friends, my job, my town, my country, my health, my opportunities, my leaders, my co-workers, my abilities…

The list goes on.

Author Dan Pink, in his new book, To Sell is Human, talks about three fundamental human qualities for selling:  one is buoyancy, defined as the capacity to stay afloat on what one salesman calls “an ocean of rejections.”  He sites the work of Barbara Fredrickson of the University of North Carolina on “positivity.”  Professor Fredrickson’s book is Positivity.  In her research, she “discovered that experiencing positive emotions in a 3-to-1 ratio with negative ones leads people to a tipping point beyond which they naturally become more resilient to adversity and effortlessly achieve what they once could only imagine.”  She has a quiz to help you you determine your positivity ratio.  My first time, I scored 2.5—a ratio of my positive emotions to my negative ones.  (She advocates taking it for 14 days straight to get your “real” score.)  I want to be a 3.0.  Take the quiz.  What’s your positivity ratio?

I should be a 3.0—I’m too blessed to be stressed.

0 Responses to “Too Blessed To Be Stressed”

• No Comments