Executive MBA, Executive Student Profile, Student Profile or Feature

Meet Darden’s EMBA and GEMBA – Marco Mendoza Saenz, GEMBA ’18

By Isabel Adams-

Name: Marco Mendoza Saenz
City: Lima, Peru
Employer: Scotiabank Peru
Years of Experience: 8
Format/Section: GEMBA / CHO

1. What is your current job?

Head of Investment Strategy at Scotiabank Peru

1. Why did you decide to pursue an MBA?

My focus has always been finance. However, now that I have a CFA certification, I think my finance knowledge is covered. As I thought about the future, I realized I needed to improve my leadership skills in the medium term, and I would like to open my own finance-related business in the long term. That’s why I decided to pursue an MBA.

1. Why did you choose Darden?

The schedule and the case method. I wanted to get the most out of this experience, and I felt the case method would allow me to learn from all of the people in the classroom, hearing their perspectives and thoughts as we talked about business problems, not just the professor. In addition, as an international student commuting for the residencies, Darden’s schedule fit my life and commitments, allowing me to maintain a balance between my job and my student role.

1. What attracted you to the executive formats of the Darden MBA?

Simply put, the opportunity cost of leaving my job for two years to pursue a full-time MBA was too high. I have the opportunity to work on a very interesting project for the next couple of years, and I didn’t want to give up this chance to go back to school when I could earn the same degree and continue working.

1. What’s your favorite thing about your classmates so far?

The sense of unity. My perception is that we all feel we are a part of one large group, and we want everyone in the class to succeed.

1. What are you most excited about accomplishing/doing during the program?  

I’m pretty excited about the global residencies. I think a program like this can be a game changer in your career perspective. I think it will expand my horizons and change the way I do things. As a GEMBA student, I think this kind of change will come not only from my classmates but also from the places I will visit over the next 21 months.