Pedro Lemos is originally from Belo Horizonte, Brazil, and he spent his summer working for McKinsey & Company in their Denver office. We recently caught up with Pedro to talk about what led him to Darden, and what he’s enjoyed about his experience so far. Check out Pedro’s answers below!

How/why did you choose Darden?

At the end of the day, I wanted to be part of a tight-knit community, and I chose Darden because of its smaller class size, and the life I could envision for myself in Charlottesville.

What’s been your favorite thing about your experience so far?

My favorite thing so far has been my summer internship with McKinsey & Company in their Denver office. As a rock climber, I have always wanted to live close to the Rockies, and just being able to pursue and then secure this opportunity was incredible. As long as you have a dream and a vision of where you want to be, Darden has many tools to help you get there.

What’s been the most surprising thing about your experience so far?

Recently, I worked for a private equity fund in Tbilisi, Georgia’s capital city, as part of an independent study under the supervision of Professor Bob Harris. Had you told me a year ago that I would be living in the Caucasus, helping a fund identify good investment opportunities, participating in meetings with local entrepreneurs and exploring neighboring countries during the weekends, I am not sure whether I would have believed you. It was a very rewarding experience.

What are you looking forward to accomplishing during your last semester?

I am very much looking forward for my Darden Worldwide Course in South Africa in March. We are going to take a deep dive on developing public private partnerships for economic development. I’m also taking a side trip to Malawi before the course in South Africa starts, so I have a lot to look forward to in 2019.

What’s one thing you wish you would have known when you were a prospective student?

As somebody who was not living in the U.S. while applying for business school, I did not have the chance to visit Darden. I wish I could have visited Charlottesville and realized sooner what a special place it is. Having done this would have saved me a lot of time and effort!

Any advice for prospective students considering Darden?

I can’t stress this enough: Keep an open mind. Be ready to give answers in the classroom, but make sure to bring questions. Follow the recruiting process, but don’t be afraid to be the first to try something new. Work hard, explore and be true to who you are.