Second Year student, Lingbo (LB) Chang, is from Beijing, China (by way of Houston, Texas), and he will join Jefferies LLC’s Healthcare Group after graduation. We recently caught up with LB to talk more about his Darden experience. Check out his answers below! 

How did you decide to pursue an MBA?

After working as an associate at a large financial institution and having the opportunity to lead my own team in Moscow, I realized that in order to be a better leader and truly competitive in the ever-evolving business world, I needed to further develop my business and leadership skills. I wanted to be challenged in an extraordinary environment that provides concrete business education and cultivates “real world” discussion.

How did you choose Darden?

The BEST business education experience in the world, hands down. The amount of focus that Darden places on the classroom experience is unmatched. Case discussions place you in the shoes of the manager and during class, you debate different possible decisions and the reasoning behind them with the students in your section. Case method can be challenging, but it is truly a great way to learn. It teaches you how to prep, think, share your ideas and make decisions with imperfect information.

What has been your favorite thing about your experience?

The opportunity to meet, debate and learn from amazing classmates, many of whom have different work and life experiences than I do. Also, the supportive Darden community, not just among students, but also professors. The faculty here is very approachable and easy to connect with. And, last but not least, my Learning Team. I cannot say enough thank yous for the critical role they played throughout my recruiting process.

What has been the most surprising thing about your experience?

The intensity. Darden is not easy at all, and the academic workload can be heavy. When combined with recruiting, it can be a bit overwhelming and stressful. However, it is such a rewarding experience. You will grow tremendously during the two years, so in the end, it is well worth the time and effort.

How do you think Darden prepared for the next chapter in your career?

After two years and nearly 600 cases, you will be extremely well-prepared to tackle any problem you may face. The case method is all about process and a structured way of thinking. It not only enhances your ability to analyze and approach a problem from multiple angles, but it also improves your ability to articulate and then defend your assumptions and conclusions to others, which is especially important when working in a team setting.

What would you want prospective students to know about Darden?   

Darden, like many top-ranked MBA programs, will help you secure amazing job opportunities post-graduation, but what sets Darden apart is its engaging and collaborative student body, friendly and approachable faculty, and its focus on providing the best classroom experience.