It’s no secret that Darden students enjoy spending time together, both in and out of the classroom. One of the favorite ways to unwind is by competing in various activities in the pursuit of The Darden Cup, a trophy that brings together student sections (and faculty!) for good-natured competition in everything from cricket to trivia. With the Cup competition now complete, Darden Student Association Vice President of Athletics Johnny Mishu (Class of 2019) — who will start his post-Darden career as an assistant brand manager at Procter & Gamble — reflects on who won and what he learned after another epic year of Cup competition

What were the final results for Darden Cup? Who won and how was the winning section recognized?

Section D won the Darden Cup this year, making them back-to-back champs. The winning section gets their name engraved on the Cup, and there will be a brief ceremony to congratulate Section D at an upcoming First Coffee.

Was there any drama down the stretch?

Oh yea. Somehow, after the final event, Sections D and B ended up with the exact same point total for the year (427), which takes into account both performance in the events and number of students who attend. So we actually needed to carry out a decimal to determine that D won Darden Cup by 0.4 points.

What have you enjoyed about your role as VP of Athletics? What advice have you given the incoming VP?

I’ve loved seeing some of my classmates, some of whom may be softer-spoken in the classroom or on Grounds, get the chance to showcase their skills in events like Cricket and the Talent Show. It’s awesome seeing them in their element. The incoming VP, Grace Jackson (Class of 2020), is incredible! To be honest, she hasn’t needed my advice. She’s already run two Darden Cup events this year by herself and has absolutely crushed them. I’m excited to see what she does with Darden Cup next year!

With Graduation right around the corner, what will you miss the most from your time at Darden?

I feel like I say this almost daily, but it’s all the people here. My classmates, the faculty and staff have all teamed up to create this simply transformational two years here in Charlottesville. I can’t thank the people here enough for this experience.