Today’s post authored by Second Year student Kirby Miller (Class of 2022). Miller is a member of the Second Year Admissions Committee, a credit-bearing class that allows students to work on special projects, conduct interviews, and work alongside Darden’s Admissions team to recruit future classes of MBA students. This group of students also serves as informal ambassadors to the Darden experience, lending their own knowledge and expertise to prospective students and applicants.

Charlottesville Day Trips
Kirby Miller (Class of 2023)

As a nearly life-long Virginia resident, one of my favorite things about my home state is that you are no more than four hours away from the beach, the mountains, or the city from almost anywhere in the state. Since Charlottesville and Darden are the center of the state, that rule holds even more true. Darden’s four-day class week creates plenty of opportunities to explore, do activities, and take day trips or three-day weekends to many of the best places the Mid-Atlantic region has to offer. I am happy to share some of my favorites below, even though chances are once you get to Charlottesville you’ll never want to leave!

The Beach

Outer Banks, North Carolina: 4 hours and 49-minute drive from Darden

I will admit that this one breaks the four-hour rule, but I have made it there in under four hours with the help of Waze, so I am counting it. If your only knowledge of the Outer Banks is from the Netflix show, you are missing out. The Outer Banks are a series of barrier island beach towns just south of the Virginia/North Carolina border. Each town has its own personality and all of them create plenty of opportunities for good food and even better beach time. I have personally read many a Darden case on the shores of Nags Head and cannot recommend it more.

Cape Charles, Virginia: 3 hours and 25-minute drive from Darden

Cape Charles is a small town on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay, Virginia’s primary body of water. Once you pull into town, that is the last you will need your car. You can go to the town’s famous distillery, breweries, and beaches all on foot or via golf cart. This was the perfect change of pace for me during a long weekend at the end of First Year, and I think you’ll enjoy it too. If driving through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel makes you nervous, you can always stop 30 minutes sooner in Virginia Beach.

Charlottesville Day Trips
Cape Charles, Virginia | Photo Credit: twooutliers.com

The Mountains

As a person whose extent of winter sport activity was tubing as a kid, friends who know far more than me about skiing and snowboarding have told me that East Coast snow isn’t it. While you will have plenty of opportunities to go to “real” snow during the Darden Outdoors Clubs annual ski/snowboarding trip, the resorts just west of Charlottesville in the Blue Ridge Mountains are great options for when you may want to get into the mountains for just a day, or even a few hours.

Wintergreen Resort, Virginia: 57-minute drive from Darden

or

Snowshoe Mountain Resort, West Virginia: 2 hours and 52-minute drive from Darden

Charlottesville Day Trips
Snowshoe Mountain Resort | Photo Credit: wvtourism.com

The City

Washington, D.C.: 2 hours and 19-minute drive from Darden

You’ve probably heard of “Washington” and even may have visited the marble- and stone-carved city during a 7th grade field trip if you grew up in the U.S. W During your stay in Charlottesville, I would encourage you to get to know “D.C.,” the diverse and fun city with great music and sports scenes, and an even better food scene.

Charlottesville Day Trips
Thomas Jefferson Memorial in Washington, D.C. | Photo Credit: lonelyplanet.com/usa/washington-dc

Richmond, Virginia: 1 hour and 15-minute drive from Darden

If you don’t watch March Madness, chances are you probably don’t know much about Richmond. Having gone to college in Richmond (Go Rams, not Spiders) this city holds a special place in my heart. Richmond has one of the best art scenes anywhere in the U.S., but particularly in the Mid-Atlantic. From up-and-comers found in local studios to famed artists like Kehinde Wiley, Richmond has you covered. Richmond has some of the best food I’ve had in my life, due to the diversity of the city and affordability of restaurant space and has plenty of outdoor activities.