Darden recently launched its Initiative for Business in Society (IBiS) and I couldn’t help but proudly reflect upon this significant work. It makes sense that a business school producing leaders that impact society would develop research, thought and collaboration about business in society – a true testament that the Darden School lives its missions to “Improve society by developing principled leaders for the world of practical affairs.” Also, I couldn’t help but think about our (higher education professionals) roles as a part of a community educating future business leaders. The more I pondered the more questions I raised. Questions like, what really is the responsibility of a business leader in our expanding global economy? Has the triple bottom line risen in importance to a level where it informs and instructs organizational leadership? Beyond monetary investors, are other types of investors in business gaining in influence? Are we even asking the right questions? Ultimately, how are we doing?

The MLK Day holiday offers time for members of communities to think about the legacy that Dr. King envisioned – a more just, equitable and caring society. Are we providing opportunities for business students to think and develop their leadership skills at the intersection of business and society? I was delighted to see Dean Bruner’s Blog entry yesterday. I think it offered some insight on this very topic. Rather than continue with my own questions regarding this important work, I thought I’d refer you to a thought leader who addresses leadership quite eloquently. Please read “Drum Major” vs. Servant Leader: An Appreciation for the Life of Martin Luther King.

An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kellie Sauls
Director, Diversity Initiatives and Programming
Associate Director of Admissions