I remember the day when the email landed in my inbox – an invitation to take part in the USC Equity Institute with members of the nursing school and Associate Deans for Diversity & Inclusion from across UVA. This was no small commitment.  There were class sessions and small group meetings. This was personal development on steroids. 8 weeks of open eyes, hearts, and minds. Sometimes you go to training sessions like this and there is that person who rolls their eyes, heavy sighs and just makes the session miserable.  Well, that was not the case here. The nursing and D&I cohort members were 100% all in.  We admitted we weren’t perfect but we wanted a fuller understanding of diversity, inclusion, equality, and equity.  The Equity Insitute was a powerful program.  Sure, I learned about myself but what was even better, was the opportunity to meet and learn from some amazing people across The University.  I’m a better administrator, employee, supervisor and human being for going through the program.

You can read more about the program and the amazing people who took it from an idea to reality in a recent article in UVA Today.