First Year Students Meet & Greet Darden Worldwide Course Classmates
Earlier this week, the Darden Center for Global Initiatives (CGI) sponsored a class-wide Meet & Greet event for Class of 2021 students enrolled in Darden Worldwide Courses (DWCs) departing in May 2020. Students enjoyed a lunch inspired by the regions of the world they will be travelling to before splitting up by course enrollment into classrooms where they met each courses’ faculty and staff leaders and student cohort. Students shared why they were interested in their DWC country and also what they hope to learn from this global experience.
Currently, 277 first year students are signed up to travel to nine countries in the DWCs next May. This year, CGI piloted a new May DWC selection process using a preference form where students were asked to indicate their top four DWC selections. Of the 87% of the Class of 2021 who submitted a DWC preference form, 93% of the respondents received their first or second preference.
These courses include:
- “Rising to the Challenge: Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Leading Change” in South Africa led by James French
- “Leadership Lessons from WWII” in Normandy, France led by Barbara Millar, Gordon Rudd and Doug McKenna
- “Exploring How China Influences the Conduct of Business within China and Internationally” in China led by Kim Whitler
- “Economy in Transition” in Cuba led by Robert Carraway
- “Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Sustainability” in Sweden led by Sam Bodily and Jolene Bodily
- “Where Tradition Meets Innovation” in Japan led by Marc Modica and Shizuka Modica
- “Economic Growth and Opportunities in sub-Saharan Africa: The Influence of Education, Healthcare and Entrepreneurship” in Kenya led by Paul Matherne
- “Artificial Intelligence” in Germany led by Tim Laseter
- “Technology and Sustainability in Business” in Brazil led by Raj Venkatesan and Leandro Guissoni
Students may choose to take advantage of the Batten Foundation Darden Worldwide Scholarship program available to every eligible full-time MBA student, which covers course fees for one global learning opportunity. This scholarship can be applied to Global Immersion Courses, Global Topics Courses, Global Consulting Projects or Exchange Programs.