Our Executive MBA profile series continues with a Q&A with second year student Lorchi “Chi” Lo (Class of 2022).

Lo is based in the San Francisco Bay Area, and he recently started a new job in Talent Success at Tesla. During his time at Darden, Lo has also been busy outside of the classroom leading the Executive MBA program’s Diversity Committee and helping spark a number of student-focused initiatives, including Darden Stories, an informal conversation series in which Executive MBA students share their personal stories with their classmates. Lo is also a member of the 2021 Darden Diversity Conference planning committee. This year’s conference will be hosted in a virtual format, and is open to prospective students from all degree formats. Learn more about how to attend.

Read on for additional insights about Chi’s background and career as well as the Diversity Committee’s work and mission. Be sure to also check out his recent interview on The ExecMBA Podcast to hear Chi’s MBA journey firsthand.

Q: Who are you? What is your background?

A: My name is Chi Lo, I was born and raised in Omaha, NE.  I was born into a family of Hmong American refugees, as they served alongside of the US during the Vietnam War and were taken in by a church afterwards. I am a first-generation Hmong American, who is always striving to be the best version of myself to help inspire and guide the next generation of people. I have spent most of my life living in different states: Nebraska, Oklahoma, Arkansas, California, Kansas, Arizona, and back to California.

My wife and I just celebrated our 12-year anniversary and are proud owners of two wonderful Yorkies. I have spent majority of my career in higher education. During my dissertation, I started to get a better understanding of the type of work that would connect more with my strengths and passion. This led is what led me to Darden’s Executive MBA program as I knew that the case study, faculty, and career team would have a great impact on my personal transformation along with my career pivot.

This past February, I took a leap of faith and took on an internship role at Tesla. Since then, I have recently converted to a full-time Sr. Talent Partner. I could not be more thankful to be on this journey with this amazing group of people. The people within this cohort have made this journey enjoyable as the relationships have and will continue to develop into lifelong friendships.

Q: What is the Diversity Committee?

A: The Diversity Committee is committed to improving diversity, equity, inclusion, and belongingness within our three pillars: recruitment, student experience, and alumni relations.

Q: What are the goals of this group?

A: Our goal is to continue building upon the work that was started by the Executive MBA Class of 2021 in creating more educational opportunities to support the knowledge and understanding of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. We have an amazing opportunity to understand the different perspectives of people through the diverse backgrounds within our cohort. We hope to continue the education process through our efforts to help improve the DEIB knowledge within the Darden community.

Q: What would you want prospective students to know about Darden’s Executive MBA program?

A: If you are looking for a rigorous program that will challenge your growth as a leader, you’ve come to the right place. Darden’s Executive MBA program has had a tremendous impact on my personal growth. I chose Darden’s program because I wanted to improve my confidence and decision-making skills as a leader.

The case study methodology, application of theory through practice, faculty, and my amazing learning team (LT20) have contributed greatly to my learning. I would not trade this experience for anything, as I have formed many life-long friendships with our talented Executive MBA Class of 2022 cohort.

The Darden community is also unique, as they have always been helpful and supportive from day one.  Whenever I had questions about a job or industry, the alumni network has always answered the call.  They are truly special and will do everything in their power to make sure that you succeed. I am truly grateful to be a part of Darden’s Executive MBA program.

Check out faculty thought leadership published on Ideas to ActionAnd stay connected with us via social media: FacebookInstagramLinkedInTwitterWeChat