Darden Admissions has recently hosted several career-themed webinars of interest to candidates considering Darden’s Part-Time MBA and Executive MBA formats. Check out brief summaries for each of the webinars (full recordings available, as well!) and ways to continue to engage with the Professional MBA formats at Darden!
Career Resources Spotlight
In early November, the Career Center joined Darden Admissions for a deep dive into career resources for Part-Time MBA and Executive MBA students.
For all students, career support begins even before matriculation, and Darden’s Career Team works with each student individually to develop a personalized career plan. Part-Time MBA and Executive MBA students have access to recruiting and Darden-facilitated job opportunities, and all students have the opportunity to participate in a required career-focused core curriculum course, the Professional Advancement Course (PAC).
Career Center panelists included:
- Jeff McNish – Assistant Dean, Career Center
- Casey Floyd (GEMBA ‘17) – Director of Employer Engagement & Recruiting, Career Coach
- Kellogg Leliveld – Director of Career Education and Coaching
- Jim Collins – Executive MBA Career Coach
The Value of an MBA for Policy Professionals
In what has become an annual tradition, we hosted the fourth edition of our ongoing series about the value of an MBA for policy professionals. This event, which began as an in-person event on Capitol Hill has shifted to a virtual format over the past two years, but, with the webinar setting, comes access to panelists beyond the beltway. Yes!
For this year’s session, we were joined by a current Executive MBA student as well as several program alumni:
- Alison R. Williams (EMBA ’15) – Chief of Staff, Office of Arkansas Governor Asa Hutchinson
- Generra Peck (EMBA ’16) – President, P2 Public Affairs
- Tiffani Moore (EMBA ’16) – Supervisory Policy Analyst, Federal Home Loan Banks Affordable Programs Branch
- Zack Golden (EMBA ’20) – State Director, Senator Mark Warner
- Paul Kohnstamm (EMBA ’20) – Founding Partner, Magnify Strategies
- Evan Keller (Class of 2023) – Press Secretary, US Senate, Senator Tammy Duckworth
During the wide-ranging conversation, the panelists consistently emphasized how the MBA expanded their career opportunities and enabled them to offer a business perspective often underrepresented in policy conversations. They also noted the inextricable link between policy and business and that much of what businesses do is driven by regulation or the absence of regulation. As one of the panelists noted, “All policy is business.”
Fun fact: Political Science tied with Engineering for the top major in the Executive MBA Class of 2023? 12% of the 138 students in the matriculated class hail from a Political Science background. The more you know!
Career Conversations with the Network of Executive Women
Darden Admissions and the Network of Executive Women hosted the latest installment in our ongoing series of career-focused conversations.
For this session, we were joined by several current students as well as program alumnae, and, during the hour-long conversation, the panelists reflected upon a host of topics, including:
- Their decision to pursue an MBA
- The impact of the MBA on their contributions at work
- How their career interests evolved during their time in the program
- How the MBA expanded their sense of what was possible in their career
Two of the panelists had recently made a job change, and both talked about how the program gave them the space, resources and network to explore potential paths. Lastly, the panelists also shared tips for balancing work, life and school and navigating a working professionals MBA program.
- Kemile Palmer (EMBA ‘21) – AVP, Internal Controls, Financial Reporting, USAA
- Patricia Arty (EMBA ‘21) – Senior Program Manager, Small Business Empowerment, Amazon
- Catriona Stadtler-Ayer (Class of 2022) – Vice President, Schools and Libraries Division, University Service Administrative Co.
- Kate deLacy (Class of 2022) – Director of Investor Relations, Cartica Management
- Melissa Canaan (Class of 2023) – Senior Vice President, Senior Client Advisor, Bessemer Trust
- Bahara Stapelberg (Class of 2023) – Attorney
Interested in learning more about Part-Time MBA and Executive MBA? We invite you to join members of the Admissions team for two upcoming overview sessions. During these webinars, we will share insights about the structure and design of each program and tackle frequently asked questions. As noted, for the Part-Time MBA session, we will be joined by Senior Associate Dean and leader of Darden’s Professional Degree Programs, Yael Gruska-Cockayne.
Executive MBA Overview
Monday, 6 December | 6:00 p.m. ET
Part-Time MBA Overview with Senior Associate Dean Yael Grushka-Cockayne
Monday, 13 December | 6:00 p.m. ET