MBA-focused website Clear Admit spotlighted the University of Virginia Darden School of Business Class of 2023, a class that set a variety of records for their diversity and academic accomplishments.

Five students were profiled, including students who worked most recently in higher education, marketing and business development — or served in the U.S. Military. We shared a few highlights from each student below, and their full (incredible!) profiles can be found on clearadmit.com.

Megan Scott, Class of 2023

Megan Scott, Class of 2023

Pre-MBA Work Experience: Pre-MBA I spent 8 years working in Business Development at various tech companies selling software solutions.

Q: What do you think is your most valuable or differentiating contribution to the Class of 2023?

A: I think my most valuable contribution to this class is my perspective. I come from a somewhat non-traditional background: I’m a woman, African American, worked in sales, and lived downtown in a big city for many years. In most of my discussions during cases, I reference real experiences of people I’ve met and worked with and bring my perspective to the conversation about the industries and businesses we are discussing. I think it helps my classmates think about things a little differently than they may have before and that’s a good thing.

I also was elected to the leadership team of my section at Darden (the 70 students we take our core classes with every day) as a co-social chair, I am also a co-social chair for the 2023 Consortium class at Darden, and one of the Black Business Student Association (BBSA) First-Year Liaisons. My involvement in the social aspects of Darden is a great contribution as well because we are really a community here and I love having a hand in that.

Q: What is one thing you have learned about UVA Darden that has surprised you?

A: I was surprised by how genuinely nice the faculty are and how interested they are in our success. To give an example, on our 3rd day of class my accounting professor told us to put our name tents down and literally went one-by-one around our 70-person classroom and named us all by memory. It was impressive to see this and then even more impressive to hear he did it for another 70-person class the same day! I have so many more stories, but I can truly say all of my professors are incredible and want us to do well both in the classroom and in life. They are genuinely great people and frequently demonstrate their investment in us.

Q: What is one thing you would absolutely do again as part of your application process?

A: I would absolutely apply again through the Consortium. This organization not only transformed the application process, but they also were extremely helpful in my assimilation into the Darden community. We met weekly to prepare for their career conference over the summer, which forced us to get to know each other. Many of my closest friends on campus I met through Consortium and I also feel more prepared for recruiting because of the work we did over the summer.

Jade McLaughlin, Class of 2023

Jade McLaughlin, Class of 2023

Pre-MBA Work Experience: Four years as an Undergraduate Admissions Officer, Dartmouth College

Q: Why did you choose UVA Darden? What factors figured most prominently into your decision of where to attend?

A: Darden was the best fit business school across three fit factors: place, program, and people. Coming from New Hampshire, I was excited to join the Darden Outing Club, spend weekends in Shenandoah National Park, and work to intentionally build a community in a more-rural business school. Academically, Darden is one of the few business schools in the country to offer a strong MBA/Master of Education dual degree program and a case classroom to help me develop my voice. Finally, the collaborative, friendly nature of Darden students spoke to my upbringing in a rural town and place-focused community during my undergraduate studies.

Q: What is one thing you are most excited about in your first year?

A: Darden subsists on a model of student self-governance, which opens infinite possibilities for the programming that your class could put on during the year. I will be serving as Diversity Representative for my section and look forward to coordinating sessions to bring our class closer together.

Myles Stroud, Class of 2023

Pre-MBA Work Experience: Almost 5 years as an Infantry Officer in the United States Marine Corps

Myles Stroud, Class of 2023

Q: Why did you make the decision to attend business school? Why now?

A: When I made the decision to leave the Marine Corps, I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do next. I was fortunate enough to be deployed with a mentor that had transitioned from Active Duty to the Reserves and completed his MBA (at Darden nonetheless). Hearing his story about combining his Marine Corps experience with a business education and applying those skills to whatever problems got thrown at him really resounded with me. I always want to add value to whatever team I’m on and I thought that earning an MBA before jumping into the business world would help me accomplish that.

A: The amount of support that is available from the faculty, administration, professional/affinity clubs, second years, and peers. Paradoxically, it’s almost overwhelming how many people are willing to lend their time to make sure that your Darden experience is everything that you want it to be. Everyone wants success for everyone else and we all are willing to do whatever we can to help achieve that.

Tyler Kelley, Class of 2023

Pre-MBA Work Experience: 7 yrs, Higher Education (Indiana University)

Tyler Kelley, Class of 2023

A: I was first introduced to the idea of business school by my former manager, who noted that business school is a great opportunity to expand career possibilities and build leaders. Intrigued by this idea, I began to conduct my own research. In doing so, I discovered that business school would be the perfect opportunity to scale my impact in helping people and organizations thrive while also making the world a better place. I learned that business school would help me pivot careers, strengthen my leadership and problem-solving skills, enhance my analytical capabilities, and allow me to make new meaningful relationships with people from different backgrounds.

Q: What is your initial impression of the UVA Darden students/culture/community?

A: Darden is diverse, inclusive, and supportive. I have met so many great people who will be life-long friends. The academics are challenging yet rewarding, and there is a ton of support for students to succeed academically. The social scene is also vibrant and engaging, which adds an excellent balance to my overall experience.

A: I would remain open, looking deep within to explore my values, goals, and “why’s.” This was one of the most valuable things I did in my process. It was difficult and emotional but essential in communicating my story in my b-school applications.

Fun Fact! Tyler will serve in Darden’s highest student leadership role for the 2022-23 academic year as the Darden Student Association President!

Lucy King, Class of 2023

Pre-MBA Work Experience: 6 years, B2B Marketing – most recently for a software company serving the commercial maritime shipping industry.

Lucy King, Class of 2023

A: I am passionate about making a lasting, positive impact on society. The world is facing significant challenges – in matters of equity and inclusion, sustainability, public health, and more – and I think one of the fastest and most effective ways we can address these challenges is through business-powered actions. I am driven by the goal of making an impact within every community I am a part of – both at Darden and in my future career.

A: One quarter in, I am so impressed by the Darden students, community and culture. I sit in class next to some of the smartest people I have ever met, and get to spend each day learning from them – it is an unparalleled experience. The Darden professors are also incredibly accessible, and eager to engage with the student body to answer questions about coursework, help discuss career moves, or just get to know you better as a person.

A: I was pleasantly surprised by the routine ways in which Darden prioritizes and facilitates community-building. Every day, we are presented with opportunities to connect with fellow students via First and Second Coffee (breaks in between morning classes – the free coffee and weekly croissants were another pleasant surprise!). Darden’s clubs also host weekly “Cold Call” happy hours where students, partners, and faculty interact over drinks and food on the Darden lawn. Community is baked into daily life, and this drives a real sense of connection.