Happy Pride Month from Darden! This month, we honor and celebrate the vibrant array of individuals within the LGBTQ+ community, including our very own Renato Mejia (Class of 2025). We are thrilled to share an interview with Renato on the occasion.

Renato is a 2023 Reaching Out MBA Fellow (ROMBA) and VP Career of the student club Pride at Darden (PAD). His success in the business world and pride as a member LBGTQ community is a testament to what can happen when we bring our true selves to the table.

Introduce Yourself

My name is Renato Mejia, and I am a proud Peruvian [Second] Year student at Darden. I grew up with my mom and three brothers in Lima, one of the best culinary destinations in the world. We love trying and cooking new dishes together. In fact, after lunch we always role-play as food critics and rate each other’s dishes.

What was your background before coming to Darden?

I started my career in the oil and gas industry as a mechanical engineer. After a couple of years, I decided to go back to college to earn another degree, which allowed me to switch into marketing and sales roles. My last four years before coming to Darden, I worked in a company that sells technology for the mining industry. I started in business development and later moved to sales, managing the distribution channels.

How has the queer community impacted your professional, academic, and personal journey?

Since school, I remember trying to stand out for my academic achievements to cover my true self. Years later, while studying engineering and working in the energy and mining industries, both with very conservative workplaces, my approach was the same: to excel at my job so that my colleagues focus on my skills, not my differences. When I joined allied organizations and extraordinary people there, I finally realized I was wrong. No one should make extra efforts or stand out to be accepted or recognized. Since I know there are many people facing similar adversities, I look forward to sharing my experience so they can know it’s possible to achieve their dreams and feel accepted without hiding their identity.

Why did you choose Darden for your MBA?

During my application process, I started to connect with current students to learn their MBA journey. They all were always helpful and kind, but I felt a special connection with students from different affinity clubs. My interview was definitively the moment when I felt that ‘fit’ with Darden. My interviewer was a Second Year; he gave my stories full attention, and knew most of the people I had connected with during my application — that’s something special in Darden, because we are a close-knit community, we know each other. When I received the admission letter, I knew that Darden was the place to go, a place to belong.

What are you passionate about?

I am passionate about solving complex problems and creating long-lasting relationships. In my last job I had the opportunity to experience both. In my business development role, I worked with the managers in strategies that generated organic growth to the business. After that, I was promoted to manage relationships with distributors and clients. When I came to Darden, I wanted to add another component to my long-term goal: creating impact. That’s why I would like to explore the consulting industry while at Darden. I feel that consulting could give me that mix of complex challenges, connecting with outstanding people and generating impact across diverse industries in different locations.

How would you like to impact Darden as a ROMBA fellow?

My main goal as a ROMBA fellow is to promote diversity and help current and prospective students figure out how they can be their authentic selves in their professional lives. I would like to put emphasis on intersectional DEI opportunities and generate discussion about gaps between cultures and wealth levels within the queer community. As a first-generation, low-income Latino student, I would like to [promote] some cross-affinity club events to raise awareness of intersectional identities on and off campus.

What has been the highlight of your Darden experience so far?

There have been countless memorable moments at Darden, making it tough to single out just one highlight. Academically, the Marketing StratSim simulation workshop stands out as a favorite learning experience. It was both challenging and highly collaborative. Outside the classroom, cultural events are my favorites. One event that comes to mind is Bollywood Night last April. The Indian community at Darden is incredibly warm and welcoming, and that evening was filled with vibrant music, dance and love (and drinks of course!). That night could not better reflect the diverse and inclusive spirit of Darden.

What advice do you have for prospective students about to embark on the application process?

Work hard but take care of things that matter as well. Applying to business schools is a lot: GMAT, essays, coffee chats, school events, etc. Because it’s a high-demanding process, do NOT go through it alone, but look for support from family and friends. As efforts become results, you will be admitted to wonderful schools. Reflect not only on the professional and academic goals you want to achieve, but also in the culture and your ‘fit’ there. Two years could be a long time when you go to a place you don’t feel you belong, but it can also be a short period when you truly enjoy your time there. Be authentic and be sure to join a school where you can be your true self.

The University of Virginia Darden School of Business is proud to partner with Reaching Out MBA (ROMBA), a global organization that focuses on educating, inspiring and connecting current and prospective LGBTQ business students.

Listen to this podcast episode with former ROMBA Fellow Aidan Connell (Class of 2024) to hear more about how this organization impacts Darden students.