With Graduation on the horizon, over the coming weeks on the blog, we will be featuring conversations with a few of our Second Year students about their experience at Darden. Today we catch up with Second Year, Veronica Rumie Giraldo. Veronica is originally from Colombia, and prior to Darden, she was a Senior Account Manager at Coca-Cola in Colombia for the company’s major On Premise accounts, including Subway and Dunkin’. Check out Veronica’s answers below!

Why did you choose Darden?

I chose Darden for several reasons: class size, location, reputation and employment outcomes. The first two reasons because I knew a smaller class size would give me the opportunity to engage with more of my classmates and to establish more meaningful connections. I also knew that Charlottesville, as a small town, would help foster a strong community. The last two reasons were more objective in nature. As a risk averse individual, I wanted to be able to forecast my potential outcomes after graduation, and the school’s reputation and career data gave me a sense of the kinds of opportunities that would be available to me post-MBA.

What’s been the most surprising thing about your experience?

How much it pushed me out of my comfort zone and made me reassess what I wanted in both my personal and professional life.

What was your favorite highlight from your first year?

I have several “favorite” moments: The GWIB conference. Our Marketing simulation. The first time I attended Darden Stories. When I got my internship! There are so many highlights.

Any particular favorite memory from your second year?

Going on a Darden Worldwide Course to South Africa. Aside from the vibrant culture, I was impressed by the country’s resilience and strong sense of community. The companies we visited painted a full picture of South Africa’s current economic and social landscape, and these businesses were working to address some of the country’s most complex challenges: youth unemployment, financial inclusion, education and environmental sustainability.

What will you miss about Darden?

My classmates and faculty. When I applied to Darden, I had no idea what a great community this would be until I arrived here. These past two years, I’ve turned strangers into family, I’ve witnessed the power of the alumni network, and I have established relationships with faculty outside of the classroom. My classmates and I experienced a transformational learning experience together, and that is not something I will soon forget.