Karen Henneberger (Class of 2020) took the long way to her Darden experience. After being accepted to the School in 1990, Henneberger decided not to join the full-time program, as personal and professional commitments led her to put off an MBA. Fast-forward nearly 30 years, and Henneberger is a valued member of the Executive MBA Class of 2020, bringing decades of experience directing teams on U.S. Navy submarines and aircraft carriers into the classroom.

What is your current job?

I currently oversee the design, construction, operation and testing of nuclear propulsion plants for U.S. Navy submarines and aircraft carriers. I also lead the succession planning efforts for my organization.

Why did you decide to pursue an MBA?

I applied (and was accepted) to Darden’s residential MBA Program many years earlier in my career.  At that time, professional and family commitments drove me to forego the Darden opportunity. However, my desire to attend Darden and gain the experience and knowledge that Darden offers never went away (in fact I kept my acceptance letter from that time as a reminder of that passion). Hearing a radio announcement about the establishment of the executive program cohort in Rosslyn a couple of years ago rekindled my interest and offered a practical means to make attending Darden a reality.

Karen Henneberger (Class of 2020)

I am also at an age where I am thinking about a second career. I am hoping to use the knowledge and experience I gain at Darden to help me better understand the challenges and best approaches to pursuing new potential career opportunities going forward.

Why did you choose Darden?

When I first applied to Darden several years ago, I was struck by the warm reception by all I met — current students, admissions staff and professors genuinely seemed to care about me and my career goals. This was strikingly different than the other business schools that I visited. When I came back to Darden many years later to inquire about the Executive MBA program, I was encouraged to find that same warm and welcoming atmosphere. [Director of Admissions] Brett Twitty, [Executive MBA Assistant Director] Anne Ward and the alumni and current students I met at the first Darden reception I attended reconfirmed the presence of that Darden spirit that I had admired from years past. Combined with the exceptional academic reputation and pragmatic approach using the case method, I knew Darden would be a great fit for me.

What attracted you to the executive formats of the Darden MBA?

Given where I find myself in my career, the executive format was really my only option. That said, I find the combination of being in classes with peer executives from public and private industry to be very rewarding. The executive format allows me to best balance my existing professional commitments with my continued interest in personal and professional development.

What’s your favorite thing about your classmates so far?

My classmates are awesome. They are super smart, passionate about their interests, and represent a tremendously diverse set of professions. I am amazed by all they have already accomplished and the sacrifices they are making to better themselves and their organizations. They have also been tremendously welcoming and supportive, particularly for someone who is many years older. They bend over backwards to help anyone who needs it. They are incredibly accomplished yet humble with amazing senses of humor.

What are you most excited about accomplishing/doing during the program?

We have an awesome set of women in the EMBA 2020 class. There are accomplished lawyers, doctors, accountants, business executives, leaders in nonprofits, the arts and media, and even an NFL scout!  I have tremendously enjoyed getting to know each and every one of this talented group. Another highly talented group of women EMBA students from the recent graduating classes established the Network for Executive Women (NEW) as a formal Darden club to foster networking and professional development opportunities for women. I look forward to working with the recently-elected NEW leaders from the Class of 2020 to continue to grow this organization and its positive impact on the Darden experience.

What advice do you have for prospective students?

You’re never too old to take on a challenge like Darden. Jump in and take a chance —  it will be worth it, especially if you find yourself, like me, on the more senior side of the demographics for the class. While academically challenging, you can get old brains back in shape quickly, particularly with the exceptional faculty and fellow students Darden has for their EMBA program.